The Importance of Hydration for Weight Loss
Water is the most critical nutrient in the human body. As well as being needed for almost every process, drinking water essential for optimal brain, heart and organ function. But did you know that it can also help you to lose weight? If you want to know how, keep reading.
1. Water Naturally Suppresses Your Appetite
First things first, a lot of people think that they’re hungry when they’re actually thirsty. If you drink a glass of water before reaching for a snack, you can satisfy your cravings and stop consuming calories you don’t need. After all, when the stomach senses that it’s full, it sends a signal to the brain to stop eating. Ultimately, drinking water can help to take up space in the stomach, which makes you feel fuller for longer.
2. Water Allows You to Burn CaloriesAdditionally, a 2014 study suggested that water helps to burn calories. The details? 12 people drank 500 millilitres of room-temperature water and burned between 2 and 3% more calories than usual in the 90 minutes that followed. This actually showed two things:
- Water may temporarily increase the body’s resting energy expenditure
- Water may increase the number of calories burned while resting
Drinking cold water, in particular, has been thought to enhance these calorie-burning benefits. Why? Well, because the body expends energy (or calories) by having to heat up the water for digestion.
3. Water Helps to Remove Waste
Drinking water also helps to flush out your system. When the body is dehydrated, it struggles to remove waste as urine or faeces. However, water enables the kidneys to filter toxins and waste while retaining the necessary nutrients and electrolytes. The truth is, if you drink more water, your kidneys will refrain from holding excess fluid — and it stops bloating in its tracks. (Hurrah.)
4. Water is Needed to Burn Fat
Without water, the body finds it hard to properly metabolise stored fat or carbohydrates. This process is called lipolysis. That said, lipolysis can’t be completed without the first step, which is known as hydrolysis. Hydrolysis can only occur when water molecules interact with fats to produce glycerol and fatty acids. In essence, drinking plenty of water improves the digestive system. It allows the body to efficiently burn off fat from food and drink, as well as stored fat. Win-win.
5. Water Aids Your WorkoutsLastly, water helps the following to function correctly when you accelerate activity during a workout:
- Connective tissues
- Other organs
When you’re dehydrated, this can hinder your energy and performance levels. That’s why it’s important to drink water before, during and after exercise. In fact, you may be surprised at just how alert, motivated and energised you feel by doing this.